Tuesday, July 31, 2012

#11 Bill Elliott Budweiser Ford

 The third car I made was my first attempt at a reproduction. This is the #11 Budweiser Ford Thunderbird that Bill Elliott drove for Junior Johnson in 92, 93, and 94.

#11 Budweiser Ford v1#11 Budweiser Ford v2 at Darlington -- the site of Elliott's last win with the car

The number and stripe are easy enough for a beginner. The front grill was also a pretty simple matter with a reference image. I did have to modify the closest font for the writing to fill in some gaps in the "cool" style of lettering. Also, this is where I learned the game doesn't allow you to add spaces between words, which is a huge pain. I hope they fix that in the next version.

If you want to create a non-modern car, the game does not give you manufacturer logos, so it pays off to make the best custom logos you can early on so you can reuse them, like I did with the Ford logo here.

The game has a double upswing arrow that makes for a pretty good approximation of the Thunderbird logo (underneath the Ford symbol.) I just take one of those, create a 2-tone color between white and gray, then copy it, make it black, put it in the layer beneath, and increase the size slightly to give it a nice simple outline.

If I had another improvement to make to it, I'd create a custom Amoco logo as the associate sponsor. This would also open up the possibility of making the old Amoco car.

No comments:

Post a Comment