Tuesday, October 2, 2012

In-progress work on the #12 JPS NASCAR Lotus

I messed around with the idea of showing work-in-progress shots as I muddled around with ideas on my latest car, the #12 John Player Special Lotus NASCAR Renault.

I started out just by testing how much of a pain it would be to do the trim.


Next, I worked on more of the trim, and getting the primary logos on there. I made the famous JPS logo, and also spelled out "John Player Special," adding some serif to the font as a custom logo, since all the fonts in the game are sans-serif.

I already had a Goodyear font I had made by making a custom logo of individual letters around a circle, then deleting the circle. A couple triangles make a "good enough" version of the little shoe logo in the middle. Once you have one made, you can then distort it to fit over any wheel arch and change the color to match the paint scheme of every car you work on relatively easily..



Later, I made up some details for the front grill work, and added a bit more of the golden trim to the top of the hood. I also threw in a manufacturer's name and some associate sponsors.




After that, I added the small basic sponsors that are on every car in NASCAR, to give it a more realistic look to it.
#12 John Player Special Lotus NASCAR Renault

In the end, I decided to move the Olympus Cameras associate sponsorship from the quarter panel to the main siding. I figured JPS didn't need to be spelled out on the side. Those who got it, got it. I also messed with the main logo sizes a bit, just as a matter of personal taste.

#12 JPS NASCAR Lotus

No comments:

Post a Comment